Sunday 29 September 2013

Two years on and stuck into nature



Two years ago this weekend, I waved a very wistful goodbye to my flat, friends and the city I loved. The aim: to get out into the country proper, not just a house in the shire, but a caravan on a farm, right in the mud, and to learn; to learn as much as I could about living from the land.

To my surprise the journey, which began in a shop in Dalston (or my Grandad's garden depending on your psychological outlook) has led me to focus on the health benefits of being outdoors and the nurture that our natural world offers to each and every one of us.


I have been fortunate enough to find myself working with some truly inspirational people, Sam Henderson who brought his ideas of agricultural renaissance into East London and has gone on to find his own farm, Tim Waygood who following a brush with pneumonia turned his family’s farm on its head and continues to struggle with the realities as passionate as ever, Ann De Bock who has started her own flourishing care farm, providing meaningful work opportunities to those with disabilities, Romy Fraser who has grand ideas for inspirational education training young adults for the future and is using her farm in East Devon to make this a reality, and last but by no means least Daphne Lambert who takes the time to not only listen to the rhythms of nature and cook up beauteous feasts, but also shares her understanding and the unending health benefits with those who take time to listen to her.

Now I am living in Devon, for real(!) it seems to be time to turn some of my meandering thoughts and consequent conclusions into practical action. Once again I find myself with several jobs, all serving a critical purpose; either financially, experientially or inspirationally, which I hope to be a helpful guide along the pathway. The goal is becoming clearer, and despite what some may fear; it has genuine purpose and is not just a guileless step away from the stresses of London. Next week I will begin a forest school practitioners course so that I can 'officially' play with mud and start fires, from there I will be leading workshops in a school for children with learning difficulties and challenging behaviour.



I'll leave the rest for now, I should think that the details will continue to develop quite organically in the coming year or two. But I am ever optimistic about the future and the places I might go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment