Monday 7 November 2011

First week on the farm

So this is it, after six months in the planning I have moved onto Church Farm and spent my first week working in horticulture. Wow what a change. We're out in the fields by 7am each day which makes my wake up almost two hours earlier than back in London... this will certainly take some getting used to.

Each week I'll be working 48 hours over 6 days in exchange for a small sum of money but most importantly food (and beautiful fresh food at that) and board (in the shape of Shadow - my little caravan). In return I am lucky enough to be part of a wonderful community of people, all of whom have a passion for sustainable agricuture, which means not only a happy communal lifetyle but lots of fascinating and inspiring conversations about the future of the world we share.

This week I've been learning the ropes out in horticulture ('hort' to those with more experience) and under the guidance of Rik have been planting and harvesting some sumptuous treats. The fields and polytunnels here supply the on site shop and cafe, as well as the pub over the road (part of the Church Farm family) and the farm boxes which are delivered weekly. Which means it is non stop. I've had the pleasure of seeing the process through from planting to customer this week. Harvesting, packing up the boxes and going out on the delivery rounds which was wonderfully satisfying.

After week one I am feeling happy to be spending so much time outdoors, and rather fortunate that the weather has been so kind. It is all still very new to me and therefore not at all monotonous, but I know that will be a risk in the months to come. London is a world away and after four weeks out, by no means forgotten but I am not aching to go, in fact I think it will be the end of this month before I am back.

3 comments:

  1. We need a picture of Shadow the caravan! sounds amazing Laura :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww pic to follow my dear, once I've done a little work on her :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really nice Laura, glad you're enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete